A senior administration official said military preparations are underway in the chance that they become necessary regarding North Korea.I find this interesting...a few points...
All 100 senators were invited to attend a rare, closed-door briefing by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis at the White House Wednesday so the administration could communicate “the seriousness of the threat posed by North Korea.” An official who briefed reporters next door while it was underway said North Korea is a “brutal, unpredictable and capable regime that possesses an increasing possibility of destruction.”
“What you’ve seen is a really integrated effort to prioritize diplomatic and informational aspects of national power, but also what you will see soon is using the economic dimension of national power, as well as the military preparations that are underway,” the official said.
The official said there is a new level of threat posed by the “unacceptable and erratic and unlawful behavior of the Kim Jong Un regime.”
1. Everyone is talking about the Senators that left the meeting saying it was a nothing burger. But I heard on MSNBC a Senator claim that it was a sober and eye opening explanation of the issues at hand.
2. Japan has suddenly warned its citizens that they have 10 minutes to seek shelter after being notified of an incoming missile strike.
3. The US military posture in the region HAS NOT been relaxed. Additionally we know that a couple of subs, a carrier battlegroup, Navy SEALs and other forces not identified are still in the region.
4. The N. Koreans just conducted a massive artillery exercise.
5. The PACOM commander testified before Congress yesterday.
All this points to the N. Koreans being almost convinced that something is brewing. Same applies to the Japanese. Your instant response is why aren't the S. Koreans responding then? I have no answer.
Understand I'm just using open source to try and piece together what's going on. I could easily be wrong.